The Iconoclastic Investor

To make better than average money in the stock market you have to do something different from the average investor. You have to be an iconoclast--thinking independently and finding the approaches that work for you, not blindly following someone else's program. In this blog I'm refining my own iconoclastic and eclectic ways of thinking. I'm not trying to convert anyone to my opinions or methods--I just hope to provide a useful perspective and inspire some other investors' thinking.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Hansen Natural Part III--Looking for Re-entry


With its huge run-up and the horrible market action today, Hansen Natural (HANS) was ripe for a bout of profit-taking. I got stopped out on half my position early at $190.90, and it closed near the day's low at $184.29, down $16.77. Now the question is when to get back in. My iconoclastic take on this is that determining "fair value" or what the stock "should" trade at is a total waste of time. Stocks trade at whatever price someone will buy them, and that price is determined by people with emotions--by market psychology. Since I don't have the resources to find and poll a representative sample of people trading Hansen stock, the next best thing is to look at the charts.

The daily chart above shows a trendline for the last four months, during which time holding Hansen was relatively stress-free. Then massive volatility and a flood of hot money struck (note the volume spike in the lower window). Future charts will give us a clue where that hot money is going. If it all leaves, it will bring the stock back down to the trendline at about $150. That would be a strong buy signal for me. If sellers take control and push it significantly below the trendline I'd consider that a sign of serious trouble and would think about abandoning this stock entirely.

Fundamental analysts typically look at chart reading and technical analysis as the stock-market equivalent of reading tea leaves, a superstitious waste of time. Iconoclasts look at charts as the best clue available to read market psychology, which is the ultimate mover of stock prices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home